Dear Madera Families,
Welcome back to school!
Can you believe that we’re back to school tomorrow?! I love the start of the school year – with lots of new things to learn; new people to meet; familiar friends; wonderful school family traditions… We hope you’re as excited as we are of all that the year will hold!
Class lists were posted this afternoon, at 4pm at the school entrance. You’ll no doubt notice that every class is very full. We will not be making any changes to the class lists. If you have concerns, you are welcome to leave me a note or send an email but I would ask you to please trust the process that was followed when the rosters were built. Like you, we too want the best for your child and have created classes that balance the many needs of our nearly 590 students. Thank you for understanding and for your patience as we work to get all the kids settled.
A few quick reminders to help our first day go smoothly:
- If you can, walk, or park and walk, your children to school. Parking will be tight with so many people coming and going but I understand there is usually a good amount of parking on Arlington and in the neighborhood.
- The only parking spaces available in either parking lot are for teachers and staff. Please leave those spaces for them.
- The zones in front of the school and in the circle at the back are for drop off and pick up. In these zones, traffic needs to flow. Children need to get in and out quickly so that others can do the same. If you need to park, this is not the place. It would be a big help if you could pass along this important piece of information to anyone else who might help you with pick up or drop off so that they too can help us keep things moving along. Thanks!
- The gates will open for kindergarten children and families at 8:10 and for all others at 8:20. This year we will be opening the lower gate by the garden so that students in grades 3-6 can enter directly onto the lower yard. The same will be true at the end of the day. For the safety of all our children, please use the gates and wait on the yard for your children rather than in the hall or foyer. This is really important in particular for 1st grade arrival and dismissal when teachers need to be able to keep all those kids in sight.
- Remember that tomorrow is a minimum day so all children (except for kindergarten of course) will be dismissed at 2:05.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have questions, concerns or ideas. I’m very much looking forward to getting to know you all and to what we will accomplish together.
May this school year be one full of wonder and joyful learning!
Principal, Madera Elementary School