The PTA is interested in establishing a legislative advocacy committee to keep parents informed and connected to educational issues. More importantly, we would like the committee to play an active role in issues at the state and local level. We need to ensure that our voices are heard in conversations regarding the future of our children’s education! This has become vitally important over the last several years, particularly given the ongoing decline in state funding and, more recently, the defeat of Measure K.
Our hope is that the legislative advocacy committee will:
- Meet with local and state decision makers to voice our concerns.
- Communicate news about educational funding and other key issues.
- Organize volunteers for letter writing campaigns.
- Sponsor special presentations by local and state leaders.
- Work closely with other local PTAs to organize advocacy efforts.
While our PTA has been quite active and vocal on a number of issues (Measures M and K, and district volunteer badge requirements), we feel the time is right to start a legislative advocacy committee, particularly since the school board plans to take another parcel tax and bond measure to the ballot this November.
Please contact PTA Executive Vice-President Patricia Osorio-O’Dea if you are interested in serving.
President, Madera PTA