Dear Madera Families,
Welcome to the 2013-2014 school year! I’m so looking forward to all that we will accomplish together this school year, as we strive to provide the very best for the children of Madera.
We want to give a warm Madera welcome to our four new teachers this year:
- Julie Patten (2nd / 3rd grades)
- Betty Buginas (5th grade)
- Melanie Phippard (5th grade)
- Patricia Cetrone (6th grade)
Madera is the great school that it is because of the collaborative efforts of everyone in the community – parents, teachers, custodians, secretary, clerk, gardeners… everyone. Everyone plays a role, and everyone matters. “One School, One Community, One Team” – our theme this year. It takes all of us working together to continue the good work that has happened here for well over 50 years. Studies show that parent involvement in a child’s education is a critical variable in academic achievement. We value your participation! Watch for more information from the school and the Parent Teacher Association about ways to get involved. The PTA works in countless ways to support our school and is an integral part of ensuring that the programs we value remain.
The Blue Folder is an important communication tool between home and school. Ordinarily it is posted on Friday morning and forms that need to be filled out should be returned the following monday (in the paper blue folder). Please review the forms and flyers, signing those that require a signature, and return it to school as soon as possible.
With so many students this year, we need to be extra patient with each other. From the parking lot to the classroom, lets make sure that everything we do and say demonstrates the spirit of helpfulness, kindness and respect found at Madera.
Please be extra mindful of the following guidelines for drop-off and pick-up so that all our kids get safely to and from school:
- Please drive slowly in the drop-off and pick up areas.
- Remember that “Thru Traffic” is for traffic moving through the parking lot not stopping and certainly never for unloading children.
- When dropping off, please move through the drop off area without parking and getting out of the car. If you need to come into the office or wait with your child on the playground, please park on the street. Parking spaces in our parking lot are very limited and are reserved for teachers and staff.
- Students are not to be on the playground until after 8:20am when yard supervision is available. Unless it is a rainy day, students use the side gates to enter the playgrounds. Please help us ensure the safety of all children, by reminding yours that the play structures are not to be used without staff supervision; i.e. children may not play on the structure after school, but should go directly to aftercare or home. Thanks for your help with this!
Together we will give our children the challenging, enriching, and joyful experience they need to grow academically, socially, and emotionally. Thank you in advance for all that you do to support the work of educating your children. I look forward to getting to know you and wish you all the best this school year!
Alison Makela, Principal